Wednesday, December 23, 2009

DESIGN THERAPY: Jonathan Adler

This has been on my radar for sometime now, but I saved the real joy of discovering Jonathan Adler until I moved back to the States. A designer of contemporary home furnishings and accessories, Adler has a tongue in cheek approach to his work perfectly reflected in his manifesto. My particular favourites plucked from his list include "We believe that when it comes to decorating, the wife is always right. Unless the husband is gay" & "We believe minimalism is a bummer." You can read the entire piece here and you will quickly get the picture that Adler believes that there are no rules for decorating and accessorising except to go for what you love and not to be constrained by "rules". Here, here!

Not surprisingly, given the name of my blog and future project, I instantly desire any of the porcelain jars from his Druggist collection, described as "An apothecary of emotion".

Browse the full selection from his Druggist collection here.

Since Christmas is upon us, here's a selection of ornaments that I would love to decorate my tree with, then probably hang around the place for the rest of the year.



Now, who wouldn't love a poodle on their tree?

The real treat is that Jonathan Adler has a "Design Your Own" service where you can try your hand at creating the perfect pillow, rug or tote bag using an array of colours and patterns. I warn you, once you start creating your fantasy designs, there really is no stopping. I particularly love the Zebra faux-animal rug.


Ta Da!!!... Of course I had to go for pink and green!

Too much fun and dangerously expensive if you actually buy your creations (I just made some up and saved them in the Gallery as a kind of wishlist).

This is fun stuff, beautifully designed and creatively presented. I am an instant fan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails