Friday, March 12, 2010

HOUSE CALLS: Tamar from Nest Pretty Things

Well, this is where my love for Etsy really began, with the gorgeously girly and detailed creations of Tamar Schechner of Nest Pretty Things. The fact that she also lives in Vermont sealed the deal for me.
Tamar creates jewellery, pouches, dreamcatchers and fairy crowns all with a vintage vibe and lots of pretty decorative and floral accents. Pretty much all the things I love, rolled up in one. Her Dreamcatchers are truly delightful, decorated with beads, buttons, fabric and always the cutest little bird nestled in the centre. I have a few (Ahem..ALOT!), and love them all.

Beatrice Dreamcatcher

Anyway, enough of my obsessive ramblings, I think Tamar should tell you more...

Long Green Rose Earrings

What was the career/education path you took to get to this point? "I am a graduate of Parson School of Design and have a degree in Communication Design (graphics...) after school I started working as a Fashion Photo Stylist, then went out to work a Creative Director and Style Editor, when we moved to Vermont 5 years ago I started designing my own line and which turned into a my business."

Annie Charm Necklace

"Cute as a Button" Bobby Pins

Where do you get your inspirations? "I am very inspired by textiles, art and fashion trends, I also love thrift shops and second hand shop and I am always looking for vintage pieces, I try to keep up by visiting NYC every few months, I go to the galleries, museums and visit a few favorite shops to feel the vibe. I also get my inspiration from magazines and blogs I read on a regular basis."

Describe the creative process in designing and constructing a particular piece. "My actual creative process usually happens while I am working on an order, my work table is a mess and full of supplies and colors and suddenly something clicks and I get an idea that leads to dropping everything I'm doing and making something new."

Lucy Charm Bracelet

Where do you create your work? "My "studio" is actually the back wall of the dining area."

Share with us some of your favorite artisans whose work you admire. "I picked three artisans I love that have Etsy shops"

Geninne paints beautiful watercolor art with an emphasis on birds and nature.

Love Wins Print

Moop bags, are "concise, durable and well crafted" handmade bags designed to be functional whilst achieving beautiful simplicity.

The Letter Bag

Anna Fabo creates exquisite hand smocked clothing.

Juliet Blouse

Where can we find your work? "I sell my work through my website, Nest Pretty Things, and my Etsy Shop" Don't forget to check out Tamar's blog too, Nest Decorating.

Talia Charm Necklace

What/who are the things you love most in your life? "Hmmm...difficult question, I am surrounded with so many people I love, things I love, places I love...first of all my husband and boys and our sweet dog Nana, I love living in Vermont surrounded by nature and beauty wherever I look, I love our little house and wonderful garden and I can't wait for spring and summer outdoors, I love being able to visit NYC often and soak in some art and culture, I love cooking and we often have friends over for dinner parties and I love going to the movies and reading!!"

What would you do “in your wildest dreams”, if there were no restrictions? "I would travel a lot, I really miss London and Paris , I would spend a few weeks in places like Tuscany in Italy, Provence in France, I would love to visit the Cotswolds in the UK and travel to Scotland and Ireland!!! I would also love to travel to India and stay in some wonderful exotic boutique hotels there with my husband!"

OooLa La Paris Necklace

What is your greatest professional achievement? "I think owning my own business is really the height of my professional achievement!"

What is new with you and your work? "I have many new designs planned for Spring Summer 2010 and they are slowly trickling into my shops, you will have to just stay tuned and see..." We will!!! Check out the What's New Section of Tamar's shop to keep track of her latest creations.

Do you have a motto for life? "Never be afraid of change!"

Don't you just LOVE Tamar's gorgeous work? I could spend all day rummaging through her candy colored wares. Come to think of it, I could do with some cute baubles for spring and these are just perfect for adding a touch of femininity to just about any outfit. Don't you think?

Thanks so much Tamar, for taking the time to tell us more about your work. Your inspirations are so well realised in your jewellery. You deserve a trip to India as I would love to see what you create after that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails