Friday, August 14, 2009

COLD REMEDY: Burton

Those who know me well, will tell you that I am not exactly a winter sports kind of gal. Shame on me, as I grew up in the Green Mountains of Vermont, where skiing, snowboarding and snow-shoeing are in the blood. I will say that I started life skiing as soon as I could walk but through the years have left that far behind. I think it must stem from the trauma of getting on a chair lift on my own (aged about 7 or 8), not able to reach the bar to secure me in, and the ski patrol stopping the lift while I was about 30 feet off the ground, shouting at me to pull the bar down. I of course couldn't reach the bar, and apparently didn't much seem to care, waving at my brother down below completely unaware of the danger of my situation. At the time, I guess I thought it was a great adventure. Latterly, I have to assume it scarred me for life! It has been some 15 years or so since I strapped on a pair of skis.
Anyway, in the spirit of childhood enthusiasm, if I WAS to take up winter sports again it would have to be snowboarding. It's a Vermont thing.

My Boarding for Girls Picks
Selected from the Current Women's Collection
Burton Snowboards

Burton Snowboards, founded by Jake Burton Carpenter, began in Londonderry Vermont in 1977 and is now the world's leading snowboard manufacturer. Living just 5 miles down the road from there, Burton is synonymous with snowboard culture for us. Jake is credited with turning Snowboarding into a professional sport, although not for inventing the board itself. There are many who are deep into the culture of this sport in Vermont, most notably Ross Powers (also from Londonderry) the Olympic Gold Medal winner in the Half Pipe from the 2002 Games. Now diversifying his business and pursuits, Ross has a store with a mini museum dedicated to the board, check it out here.

It must be said that my brother over at 10engines is quite the artist when it comes to making short films on snowboarding, and his love of the life surrounding it. He is not bad on a board either.

Open Season -highbacks and gunracks from 10engines

You never know, I might even give it a go this year. That outfit won't wear itself! James, that one's for you.

1 comment:

  1. just ned the bindings and all set haha. can def count on you for the "apres-ski" i bet though... margaritas on the desk.. o yeah.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails