Wednesday, November 11, 2009

DESIGN THERAPY: Eames

Husband and wife team Charles and Ray Eames were at the heart of a new movement in organic furniture design, during the 40s and 50s. Their principles of beautiful, sleek design that is ultimately practical and functional, defined their style. Great potted history here.

Ray and Charles Eames, courtesy of Taschen.

I could not even begin to do this duo justice here, so I won't even try. For the experts take, start here. I will say that my ultimate dream is to own one of their RAR rocking chairs. The Eames Molded Plastic Rocker (RAR stands for Rocking Armchair Rod) is an iconic piece of furniture designed in 1948 that is now produced by Herman Miller, who own the Eames licensed trademark and reintroduced this piece to the market after 30 years out of production.

Lime Yellow RAR, from DWR

I know it is a reproduction, but Modernica has a customisable Rocker that allows me to indulge in my love of all things pink. Wishlist!


I wouldn't say no to the Molded Plywood Lounge Chair in Cowhide either.

A limited edition of just 500.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails