Thursday, May 13, 2010

Slice of Vermont Life

Huge apologies for the lack of posts this week. I have been submerged in 40 pounds of potatoes, 20 pounds of minced beef, a bushel of apples....in other words I have been catering for the masses!

A while back I volunteered to head up the organising of our local town's Community Dinners programme. This is a lunch that is put on every month, from May to November, in our local town center in order that the elderly in and around our community get the chance to have a nutritious meal for the small cost of $3.50. Although called Dinners, it is actually a lunch. Three courses of the best traditional classic dishes you can imagine and yesterday was our first event.

In my last profession, I spent an hour a day writing various blackboards with the day's specials on them, so I took full advantage of the opportunity to get chalked up for the dinner. My writing is still pretty but illegible. Oh well.

The Dining room, ready for the onslaught! Red and white table clothes were a must.

Our inaugural menu had to be printed in the local newspapers two weeks before to ensure that these folks could decide if they wanted to make the trip out. The general message to me when planning the menu was that if they didn't like the sound of it, they weren't coming no matter how cheap it was. No pressure then! So we pulled out the stops. Corn Chowder, Shepherd's Pie with minted peas and Apple Crisp with Vanilla Ice Cream was a menu sure to have them flocking in.

The Blessing given by local legend, Kermit Reilly. He quoted Julia Child, and I knew it was all going to be all right.

Let the feast begin! Our fabulous, gracious and lively lunch crowd.

Our team of 5 women worked tirelessly to cater for the 40-50 seniors we were expecting and in the end we pulled it off with happy campers and clean plates. 46 attended, and we served three courses all within 1 hour. I felt like I was back in the restaurant biz and loved it.

Huge thanks to Virginia, Carol, Dorothy and Reenie for their wisdom, energy and passion. It wouldn't have happened without you.

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails