Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Time to Bemz my Ektorp

No, I am not talking to you in code, this is affordable Swedish design my friends.

Bemz is a Swedish company that specializes in making custom made, removable and washable slipcovers for all manner of Ikea designed sofas and chairs. Genius! I mean, we all own a piece of Ikea seating I am pretty sure, but we don't all want to be restricted by the plain covers they (generally) come in. Founded by Lesley Pennington while on maternity leave, the Bemz name is an anagram of her children's initials, who serve to inspire the business.

The process couldn't be simpler. Find your Ikea model, then choose the fabric you like (you can order free swatches for absolute confidence in the chosen pattern/material). The covers are custom made and delivered to you within 4 weeks (just $20 shipping if you are in the States), and very affordable. The most exciting news about Bemz's service is that they have introduced a number of fabulous designer fabrics for you to choose from.

Designers Guild and Lisa Bengtsson both offer the most glorious fabric designs in palettes that are right up my street, bursting with floral and geometric patterns. I don't know how I could choose just one!

Sagrada Lime

Barcelona Crocus

Lisa Bengtsson for Bemz...

Baronessa Pink

Sir Harald Multi

And not forgetting the bold and iconic Marimekko...

Unikko Red (Ektorp chair for those who were wondering)

Now, what with all this riot of colour, I understand that there are some who prefer the paired down simplicity that Swedish design is so famous for. I love that too as it happens, but Bemz provides the perfect service for those who like to switch it up now and then. If only they covered the Ektorp corner sofa, I would be straight in there.

(Images Bemz)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails