Thursday, September 30, 2010

Z is for Zipper

Thanks to Mutt for suggesting this one. No longer is the humble zipper just a practical element of clothing. Nowadays, it is a feature all in itself used to embellish all manner of clothing items to give them a little edginess. First created in 1851 and then called the "Automatic, Continuous Clothing Closure", the zipper was first named as such by the B.F Goodrich Company when applying it to a pair of their galoshes. Anyway, the history can be found here. I can't say I am a massive fan of its over use as detail, but there are some incredible creations out there that really use the zipper beautifully as detail. I particularly love the asymmetrical styles.

Winged Leather Ankle Boot Alexander McQueen

Exhibitor Pouchette J.Crew

Whirlpetal Cardigan Anthropologie

Rimini Cardigan J.Crew

Rolandzip 120Platform Pumps Christian Louboutin

Trapezoid Belt Anthropologie

Neon Zip Ruffled Cardigan (just for kids I'm afraid) J.Crew

Washed Leather Moto Jacket J.Crew

So there you have it folks! The A-Z of the Apothecary Alphabet is now complete! Thanks for the suggestions along the way, and for the great comments I have received for this series. it really did make me think so much more about the things I write about and to discover so many new design elements that I will keep following. I am off on a much anticipated holiday for a few weeks, so see you when I return!

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails