Thursday, September 30, 2010

X is for X-ray

Hmm...this is a tough one, and unavoidably predictable I fear! But, it proved to be a perfect opportunity to discover the concept of x-ray images from nature that I have been hearing about recently (thanks Claudia!). The stunning thing is that flowers can look incredibly magical and even more beautiful in x-ray, and of course the detail is out of this world.

The work of Judith K. McMillan is an encyclopedia of the inner workings of flowers and plants. The X-Ray is her camera, and unlocks the mystique of the interiors of the plants. More here.


I am particularly drawn to those x-rays that are in colour, giving them a vibrant and more lifelike feel.

The work of Bryan Whitney exemplifies this approach.







The Far Grove 2 has the most beautifully striking images of x-rayed flowers, turned into envelopes.


This is truly a world I had never entered before and I am loving the discovery of such a unique and powerful art form.

1 comment:

  1. I love the crab
    however they are all wispy & lovely

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails